- What's New
- Guest Info
Artist in Residence
Upcoming Artist In Residence
We are honored to host Kory Lidstrom as our next Artist In Residence.
Visit the Upcoming AIR page for more information.
Kalani AIR is a great opportunity for artists to be inspired to create in a beautiful environment and loving, supportive community.
Artists of all backgrounds and media are welcome to apply for one of our three quarterly artist-in-residence spots, entering a beautiful dance of giving and receiving from our community. One can not help but be dramatically influenced by the spirit of aloha and the raw, natural beauty that abounds on the Big Island.
Artists-in-Residence are provided a supportive environment in which to create, develop, and workshop their work. At Kalani, you will find an intentional community which celebrates creativity, inspiration, and acceptance. We are excited to see the original works you are moved to produce here.
One of the key motivations behind Kalani AIR is our mission to enrich the culture and community of Puna. Our district is beautiful and inspiring, yet is also an economically marginalized area, the poorest district in Hawaii.
Selection for our Artists-in-Residence program has a strong emphasis on your background, and your proposal for how you will contribute to Kalani and our surrounding community. As a result, AIR participants contribute in meaningful, exciting ways - through teaching, sharing, performing, and/or donating a resulting work of art. A proposal for your community contribution is to be submitted along with your application for acceptance into the program.
AIR participants are invited to stay at Kalani for one to three months, and are provided living and studio space at the highly reduced rate of $370 per week. For shorter stays, consider our Visiting Artist program.
Aside from having an extended stay in a breathtaking tropical environment, Kalani AIR participants receive the following:
- Three delicious chef created meals per day, with vegan and vegetarian options available;
- Free access to 50 plus classes and activities per week;
- Full use of Kalani's clothing-optional pool, spa, and watsu facilities;
- Gorgeous sights and activities nearby including black sand beaches, hot springs, lava hikes, waterfalls, dolphin swims, turtle nesting areas, snorkeling and much more;
- Oceanside living with an oceanfront lookout point;
- Reduced rates for massage, watsu, and other bodywork treatments; and
- Community dining and social opportunities, with rich integration into our award-winning volunteer program.
- Pick up/drop off shuttle service between Kalani and Hilo International Airport
Three artists are invited per quarter. Upcoming application and announcement dates are shown in the table below:
|January 1 - March 31, 2013||Closed||November 1, 2012|
|April 1 - June 30, 2013||Closed||November 1, 2012|
|July 1 - September 30, 2013||January 11, 2013||February 1, 2013|
|October 1 - December 31, 2013||May 17, 2013||June 7, 2013|
You may apply for any future quarter during any of the application cycles, unless noted above.