- What's New
- Guest Info
- Personal Retreats
Skilled Trades in Hawaii - Volunteer Opportunities for Tradespeople
"My time at Kalani for three months in maintenance was absolutely life changing for me. I've made friends I will keep for the rest of my life. I would recommend that everyone spend at least a month at Kalani at some time in their life, as a volunteer, or on a sabbatical." -- Alan Wroclawski - Former Fire Chief of London, England
Tradespeople who discover Kalani have incredible experiences here. Our volunteer and sabbatical programs are award-winning. And we live surrounded by fiery lava, invigorating ocean, tropical foliage, and the exuberance of people living the spirit of aloha.
Kalani is Hawaii’s largest retreat center, with 120 acres of organic agriculture, preserved heritage, and retreat accommodations. We are a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. Volunteers and sabbatical guests contribute their skilled trades to help with upkeep of our buildings and retreat facilities.
Life here is spectacular. Only five miles away you'll find the incredible Volcanoes National Park, where the lava flows into the sea. We are blessed to be upwind, so we have no vog (volcanic smog) here, just the sweet, clean air of the Northeast Trades coming across thousands of miles of Pacific Ocean, considered to be the cleanest air on earth.
As a contributing community member, here are the abundant benefits you can look forward to:
- A four-day work week - three days a week to explore this beautiful island (two-day work week for our sabbatical program);
- Incredible food provided three times a day - healthy and delicious cuisine served on our open-air dining lanai;
- Access to any of our 50 classes and activities each week, including 12 styles of yoga, Hawaiian culture, hula, performing arts, as well as concerts, performances, and events;
- Use of our beautiful clothing-optional pool, hot tubs, and sauna;
- Unwind with discounted massages and bodywork;
- Work out in the gym;
- Shuttle to visit town or the local farmers’ market;
- Explore the beauty of the Big Island on one of our adventures (e.g. Volcanoes National Park, Akaka Waterfalls);
- Spend your evenings among friends, celebrating at a variety of special gatherings, listening to talks, dancing at DJ’d events, open mic, etc.;
- Weekly `ohana night activities, such as movies, costume parties, bonfires;
- Enjoy discounted or free participation in some guest workshops;
- Living less than a mile from beautiful, black sand Kehena beach;
- Opportunity to live in a diverse community of people from all over the world;
- An affordable way to spend an extensive period of time in Hawaii;
- And of course, make friends for a lifetime!
For over 35 years, Kalani has been a volunteer run non-profit educational village and retreat center that celebrates Hawai'ian culture, wellness and spiritual growth.
Subsidies for Skilled Trades
Typically our volunteers and sabbatical guests pay a tuition fee which offsets a portion of food and lodging costs. However, skilled tradespeople receive significant incentives, particularly those with experience and education in the following areas:
If you are accepted as a Kalani volunteer for your skills in trade, you will only pay 50% of the first month tuition fee (i.e. $350 for camping and $450 for lodging.).
If you wish to continue living and volunteering at Kalani beyond the first month, and have successfully demonstrated competency at your trade, we will fully waive any further tuition fees.
Call 800-800-6886 or click here to email the Volunteer Managers for further information on this program.
For More Information
Kalani's volunteer and sabbatical programs offer the opportunity to experience life within a community, enjoy a variety of activities and experiences, and learn and grow while serving our guests and visitors. Learn more with the links below, and ask us any questions you may have at any time.