- What's New
- Guest Info
Kalani is proud to welcome and inspire artists of all backgrounds and media, through our Visiting Artist and Artist in Residence programs. One can not help but be dramatically influenced by the spirit of aloha and the raw, creative energy that abounds on the Big Island.
Visiting Artists are provided a supportive environment in which to create. At Kalani, you will find an intentional community which celebrates creativity, inspiration, and acceptance. We are excited to see the original works you are moved to produce here.
Bona-fide artists and authors accepted into the program will be provided with basic accommodations, complimentary studio space suitable for your work, three healthy meals a day, and use of facilities such as pool, spa, and gym.
One of the key motivations behind our programs for artists is our mission to enrich the culture and community of Puna. Our district is beautiful and inspiring, yet is also an economically marginalized area, the poorest district in Hawaii.
Program acceptance and support levels have a strong emphasis on how you will contribute to Kalani and our surrounding community. As a result, our visiting artists contribute in meaningful, exciting ways - through teaching, sharing, performing, and/or donating a resulting work of art. A proposal for your community contribution is to be submitted along with your application for acceptance into the program.
Kalani’s Visiting Artist Program allows for partially subsidized stays of one or two weeks. The level of subsidy is dependent upon the extent of the visiting artist’s contribution to the community and/or Kalani. For longer stays, please apply for our Artist-in-Residence program.
Aside from having a supported stay in a breathtaking tropical environment, Kalani AIR participants receive the following:
- Three delicious chef created meals per day, with vegan and vegetarian options available;
- Full use of Kalani's clothing-optional pool, spa, and watsu facilities;
- Gorgeous sights and activities nearby including black sand beaches, hot springs, lava hikes, waterfalls, dolphin swims, turtle nesting areas, snorkeling and much more;
- Oceanside living with an oceanfront lookout point;
- Reduced-rate access to our community arts program, with 50-plus classes and activities per week available;
- Reduced rates for massage, watsu, and other bodywork treatments; and
- Community dining and social opportunities, with participants from our award-winning volunteer program.
Each quarter has a limit on the number of visiting artists we are able to accommodate. Apply early, to increase the likelihood that we can accommodate your visit.