share your wisdom
facilitator guide to hosting an event at kalani honua
Kalani Honua, founded in 1975, means ‘harmony of heaven and earth,’ and our mission is to create transformational experiences via nature, wellness and meaningful cultural exchange. We are guided by our name and our mission to provide a nourishing environment where empowered learning, connection, and personal evolution are available to all.
Kalani Honua is Hawaii’s largest retreat center and residential community, with a long history of hosting community classes and events connecting visitors from near and far. Our remote location along the Puna Coast of East Hawaii is ideal for disconnecting from the cacophony of modern life and living in harmony with nature – a perfect place for teachers to create a transformational experience.
Special Event Application Process
Kalani Honua accepts special event proposals via our online application form.
Each proposal is evaluated on alignment with Kalani Honua’s mission; facilitator expertise; educational components or certification offered; diversity and inclusion; uniqueness; strength in value proposition for potential participants; and space availability. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we are not able to accept all proposals.
Hosting Your Event
The following information outlines how special event hosting works at Kalani Honua.
What We Need
Facilitators are responsible for providing the following resources in support of an Event or Workshop:
- Programming description and images for development of promotional materials by Kalani Honua
- Marketing and promotion of the Event via social and online media outlets, email contact list, personal connections and local community engagement
- Meeting the required 10-person attendance minimum
- Clear communication with Kalani Honua regarding needs for successful event execution
- Event execution within standard operating parameters, as presented by Kalani Honua, i.e., sound monitoring, campus access and other policies
- Payment of Event expenses, i.e., parking, security, or other support personnel
- Sharing of Event revenue as outlined in the Special Event Contract
What You Get
Kalani Honua is responsible for providing the following resources in support of an Event:
- Event marketing support via Kalani.com; Facebook; potential inclusion in the monthly e-newsletter; and flyer posting on Kalani campus in locations visible to Kalani guests, staff, volunteers and public
- Studio space set-up according to the Event Inventory Order Form
- Participant registration via Kalani Guest Services; fee collection; and facilitator pay-out via Kalani Business Office, as needed
- Parking and security personnel, if required by Event
- Door/admission support personnel, if required by Event
- Audio/technical support, if required by Event
An Event space is provided free of charge with your reservation. Studios are assigned based on availability, event capacity and activity type. Kalani Honua provides a number of items free of charge for studio set-up, including yoga props, basic sound system, seating, tables, and white boards. Additional items, like flower arrangements, projector, massage tables, candles, and others can be provided for a fee.
Please note that Kalani Honua operates with some sound restrictions, including daytime noise level limits and quiet hours between 10:00 pm and 7:00 am. All amplified sound must conclude by 10:00 pm.
Our two Hale Lodges (pronounced Ha’-lay, Hawaiian for “house” or “lodge”), have a screened meeting space on the second floor with a 900-1,000 square-foot hardwood floor. These studios seat up to 40 people for lectures, or accommodate approximately 18 people for yoga or movement practice.
The Rainbow Room offers a total of 3,200 square feet, with a 1,620 square-foot suspended wood floor (27′ x 60′). Three all-screen walls allow plenty of airflow and natural light. This space is perfect for large group activities like yoga, dance or music performance. Attached is an open air, unisex restroom facility, complete with 4 toilet stalls, 4 shower stalls, and a water fountain. Restroom facility is shared by Kalani Honua staff and guests.
Ocean Vista Studio
The Ocean Vista studio is the heart of a cluster of cottages on the southwest end of our campus. Ocean Vista is a ten-minute walk from central campus and affords ocean views from the studio. Large windows invite natural light and ocean breezes, and the floor measures 600square feet. The Ocean Vista Studio seats up to 30 for lectures, or accommodates approximately 16 people for yoga or movement practice.