Andrew “Ellard” Resignato has served as a chef at Kalani and in our Housekeeping volunteer program. Ellard's a nationally recognized speaker on health, a journalist for the Fog City News, and the host of a cooking show called the "Culinary Edge" which airs weekly in San Francisco on Channel 29 and on Na Leo ‘O Hawaii on the Big Island. Ellard has been in our community for years and recently shared this for Monday Morning Inspiration -
Ellard's 8 S’s for Happiness -
1. Sleep - Sleeping is my drug, my bed is the dealer, and the alarm clock is the police.
2. Sun - That bright ball in the sky gives us life. Meet it at least once a day.
People who don’t get enough sunlight have altered cellular defence mechanisms that predispose them to excessive inflammation, which can result in autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis, lupus, type 1 diabetes and inflammatory bowel diseases, asthma and skin disorders such as psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. A little sunlight can reduce the numbers of the activated cells that lead to inflammation, and so the risk of getting these diseases.
3. Sustenance - good food, sourced well and prepared with joy and gratitude is nurturing to body and soul.
Our eating turns nature into culture, transforming the body of the world into our bodies and minds.
We are extremely lucky to be eating good food and I feel blessed to have been a chef here for over a year and half. The Kalani kitchen has taught me a lot about food and more about life.
4. Sex - “Sex lies at the root of life, and we can never learn to reverence life until we know how to understand sex” -Oscar Wilde
Woody Allen said "Love is the answer, but while you're waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions."
Do it with yourself and others! Be safe and respect boundaries without shame for your kinks, we all have them. Sex is a beautiful, messy, and zesty enterprise. Go get it.
5. Sounds - Music and nature, the world is talking to you. Listen and sing along.
William Shakespeare said “Listening, is nothing less than our ‘royal route’ to the Divine.” There's a lot of great things to listen to around here.
6. Silliness - Embrace the lightness of the absurd. Humor is the medicine for the heaviness of life) Like Dougy I says, “Embrace it. Stay open to it.”
7. Surf or Swim -
JFK said - "We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to swim – we are going back from whence we came…"
"When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused." - Rainer Maria Rilke
8. Spirit - Whatever lights you up and gets you excited about living. Embrace love, presence, wonder, and if your spirit is suffering make a change.
I want to thank you for the support, humor, nourishment, encouragement, challenges and love you have given me.
I am proud to call you my Ohana.
Mahalo nui loa,
* Photographs taken by Matt Bulger